Since the breeds of domestic selection were not characterized by high productivity and meat qualities of the carcass, during the industry formation period most Ukrainian operators opted for imported genetics. At the same time, breeding stock, boars or semen are quite frequently purchased from different suppliers. Therefore, a significant part of the commercial pig stock in Ukraine is represented by genetic hybrids, so it is quite difficult to provide a clear division of the commercial sector in terms of genetics.
In response to an inquiry from the market, the analytical department of the Association of Ukrainian Pig Breeders made an attempt to do so. However, we must emphasize that this division is conventional. It is based primarily on the producers’ assessment, to which genetic they attributes the breeding stock of his enterprise. The analysis of reproduction programs was not taken into account. In other words, the genetics of boars used for sow insemination and production of rearing stock were not investigated.
The object of the study was 87 companies with a total breeding stock of 200,000 heads or 95% of main breeding stock as of the beginning of the year. According to the answers of commercial pork producers, the genetic profile of commercial breeding stock is the following:
- Approximately 40% is Danish genetics.
- The second place is held by PIC with 21.2% of the breeding stock.
- French genetics accounts for almost the same proportion: one-seventh of all commercial sows is represented by СhoiceGenetics, more than 8% by Axiom.
- Although Ra-SeGenetics and Hypor are represented not so much among breeding stock in the research focus, the purebred and terminal boars of these genetic companies are quite popular on the market.
- It should also be noted that some large operators continue to work with animals of domestic selection. Although only a few pig farms have registered stock. Their share reaches 6.6% of the total breeding stock of agricultural enterprises.
As for the enterprises not included in the list of surveyed, they are represented by small farms (less than 500 heads of breeding stock). According to experts of the market of genetics for pig breeding in Ukraine, such operators are most likely to buy replacement stock from different suppliers and “experiment” with reproduction programs.
*the given division is based on estimates of commercial pork producers and representatives of genetic companies.
Association of Ukrainian Pig Breeders — is a non-profit voluntary organization. Established in July 14-th, 2011. At present, AUPB unites 38 farms, supplying over 50% of commercial pork in Ukraine. The main objective of the Association is to protect rights and interests of pig producers, achieve international standards of production due to implementation of modern technologies.